Ask a Local: 10 Delicious Places to Eat in Atlanta
Land of a thriving entertainment scene and the home of the Braves, the city of Atlanta has seen rapid growth in the past decade and it's continuing to flourish. The people of the city are vibrant and stylish, but still possess a lovable southern charm, and the food scene is no different. From trendy, high-end cuisine to down-home sustainable fare, Atlanta's culinary spectrum has something for all tastes. Atlanta food journalist Andrea Janise gives us the ten foodie spots in The ATL that she can't live without.
1. My favorite place for an amazing breakfast: My favorite place for an amazing breakfast is definitely Buttermilk Kitchen. The menu is full of morning favorites and the small dining room ensures that you get attentive service. You'll find me in a cozy corner sipping on a French pressed coffee and munching on a vegetable omelet or their pancakes that literally melt in your mouth.
Address: 4225 Roswell Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30342
2. I love to go here for sushi/Japanese food: I live in the Old 4th Ward, and Miso Izakaya is one of my favorite neighborhood gems for sushi and Japanese food. My go-to order usually includes one of their tempura based sushi rolls and a few other delicacies like the gyoza steamed dumplings and the shoyu tomago. Be sure to start off with one of their specialty cocktails.
Address: 619 Edgewood Avenue Southeast, Atlanta, GA 30312
3. Couples should go here for a romantic date night: Atlanta is home to many romantic spots, but one that is consistent every time is Bacchanalia in Star Provisions in the Westside district. Dim lighting, chef-driven food and great service always helps to create a romantic atmosphere.
Address: 1198 Howell Mill Road, Atlanta, GA 30318
4. You can't leave Atlanta without eating here: You can't leave Atlanta without stopping by Miss Anne's Snack Bar. This place serves one of Atlanta's most iconic burgers - the 'ghetto burger'. Miss Anne has some serious rules that come with getting one of the made-to-order burgers, so be prepared to not break any of the rules or else you could walk out empty-handed.
Address: 1615 Memorial Drive Southeast, Atlanta, GA 30317
5. The best food trucks are: The Atlanta food truck scene has exploded in the last few years bringing fans a variety of mobile food options. My favorite food trucks are The Fry Guy, Blaxican and Ibiza bites. It's your lucky day when you find them parked at the Atlanta Food Truck Park.
ATL Food Truck Park - 1850 Howell Mill Road Northwest, Atlanta, GA 30318
6. For amazing BBQ, I go to this restaurant: For amazing BBQ, I go to D.B.A. Barbecue in Virginia Highlands. I get their smoked chicken or chopped Angus beef brisket with tasty sides like the grilled Texas creamed corn and smoked baked beans. Plus, they have great craft beer and moonshine!
Address: 1190 North Highland Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30306
7. A great spot for a cup of coffee: Octane Coffee Bar is a great spot to grab a cup of coffee. There are a few locations around the city and each location delivers high quality coffee, drinks and teas. Octane always has a cool vibe with atmospheric music playing and plenty of places to plug in your laptop.
Address: 437 Memorial Drive, Atlanta, GA 30312
8. My go-to place to cure my sweet tooth: Sublime Doughnuts is definitely my favorite place to go when I want something sweet. I am an avid fan of their powdered Fresh Strawberry and Cream doughnut and their A-Town Mocha, an iced chocolate donut filled with mocha cream. With over twenty-five different mouthwatering donuts to choose from, your biggest issue will be deciding which one (or two) to get.
Address: 535 10th St NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
9. I tell my vegan/vegetarian friends to eat here while in ATL: Soul Vegetarian is always a fun place to get vegetarian food. They have locations in the West End and Virginia Highlands. They have the best vegan mac & cheese I’ve ever tasted, and I always get the barbecue tofu. They also serve vegan ice cream and shakes.
Address: 652 North Highland Avenue NE Atlanta, GA 30306
10. This is a great place for beer lovers: Sweetwater Brewery is Atlanta’s largest brewery and a playground for beer lovers. Head over Wednesday through Sunday (times vary) for a tour of their brewing and bottling process, then stay a while to sample a few of their classic line-up of beers. My favorites are Sweetwater IPA and Sweetwater Blue.
Address: 195 Ottley Drive Northeast, Atlanta, GA 30324
Andrea Janise is a food and lifestyle journalist who has been a staple in the Atlanta food scene for the past 7 years. You can catch her dining out at one of Atlanta’s chef-driven restaurants, covering food festivals throughout the U.S., and sipping craft beer and handcrafted cocktails from the city’s best mixologists. Follow her tasty adventures on Twitter and Instagram (@ATLFoodWriter).